Job Vacancy: General Manager – Victorian Music Development Office 17 Apr 2018
Music Victoria is looking for a highly motivated, project driven, outcomes-focussed General Manager to head the newly announced Victorian Music Development Office (VMDO), including leading a small team of program staff.
Victoria is the home of the live music industry in Australia and a leading music destination. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to drive projects and programs designed to ensure growth in the business and industry elements of the Victorian contemporary music industry.
The VMDO is a key project of the Victorian Government’s Music Works program and will be delivered in partnership with Music Victoria.
The General Manager of the VMDO will report to the Music Victoria CEO and be guided by a Steering Committee comprised of industry and government representatives.
This role is a full-time position, based for first year in South Melbourne, and second year in Collingwood. Contract with immediate start until 30 June 2020.
We're looking for someone with a burning desire to drive improvement, and with:
- Existing music industry networks at State, National and International levels
- A deep understanding of current issues facing the Victorian and National music industry
- Highly developed team management skills
- Expert project management skills including financial and project reporting
- The ability to work to a strategic plan and critical metrics
- Capacity to develop partnerships, and advanced stakeholder management and engagement skills
- Experience in small business development
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- An understanding of the Creative Industries
- The ability to identify industry gaps and issues and develop and apply creative solutions.
Does this sound like you?
To apply for the role of General Manager at the VMDO, please email your resume to Nick via firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 5pm on 08/05/18.
All applicants will receive a questionnaire via email that will give you the opportunity to tell us more about your relevant skills & experience, and what makes you the ideal candidate for this unique role.
About the VMDO
The Victorian Music Development Office program will work with Victoria’s contemporary music sector and agencies within and beyond Government to build projects to ensure sustainable music industry careers, craft businesses opportunities and bring to bear Victoria’s global music brand.
The VMDO programs will involve activity in the following sectors areas:
- New market development (international and national)
- Business development
- Audience + Sector development
- Research and evaluation
- Identify and respond to local and international market supply and demand gaps
- Facilitate and increase business advantage for the Victorian music industry with an emphasis on building new markets for Victorian content
- Build export-ready market capacity for Victorian music enterprises with an emphasis on micro to mid-sized businesses
- Highlight Victoria’s advantages as a diverse, inclusive and dynamic music sector
- Nurture relationships with key partners locally, nationally and internationally including in trade, small business and innovation
- Seek to provide leading technology driven solutions to information exchange and marketing challenges
- Craft meaningful opportunity to exchange and develop critical insight to support the success of Victorian music enterprises.
- Build links with the Victorian education sector to support pathways to career growth and employment.
- Ensure Victoria maintains its leadership in contemporary music business activity and can innovate and extend its market and content supply reach.
- Establish and activate a global-facing professional development program to support the business activity, events and professional development of the Victorian sector in alignment with the objectives of Sounds Australia and the Victorian Government
- Deliver a suite of initiatives to support market awareness and new performance opportunities for under-represented sectors of the industry via Support Acts for the Big Names
- Develop and implement programs to increase music business sector activity and capacity, including professional development, income generation, advice on grants and finance models.
Sector Research and evaluation
- Identify trends and deliver a program of data mapping and research which responds to, and identifies, market opportunities within in the Victorian contemporary music business sector.
Music Victoria is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity in our organisation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.